“The Data Strategy and the White Paper on Artificial Intelligence are the first pillars of the new digital strategy of the Commission. They all focus on the need to put people first in developing technology, as well as on the need to defend and promote European values and rights in how we design, make and deploy technology in the real economy.
The European strategy for data aims at creating a single market for data that will ensure Europe’s global competitiveness and data sovereignty. Common European data spaces will ensure that more data becomes available for use in the economy and society, while keeping companies and individuals who generate the data in control.
Data is an essential resource for economic growth, competitiveness, innovation, job creation and societal progress in general.”
The nine initial Common European data spaces will be the following:
- An Industrial data space, to support the competitiveness and performance of the EU’s industry
- A Green Deal data space, to use the major potential of data in support of the Green Deal priority actions on issues such as climate change, circular economy, pollution, biodiversity, and deforestation
- A Mobility data space, to position Europe at the forefront of the development of an intelligent transport system
- A Health data space, essential for advances in preventing, detecting and treating diseases as well as for informed, evidence-based decisions to improve the healthcare systems
- A Financial data space, to stimulate innovation, market transparency, sustainable finance, as well as access to finance for European businesses and a more integrated market
- An Energy data space, to promote a stronger availability and cross-sector sharing of data, in a customer-centric, secure and trustworthy manner
- An Agriculture data space, to enhance the sustainability performance and competitiveness of the agricultural sector through the processing and analysis of data
- Data spaces for Public Administrations, to improve transparency and accountability of public spending and spending quality, fighting corruption, both at EU and national level
- A Skills data space, to reduce the skills mismatches between the education and training systems and the labour market needs